Originally Published by NASA Earth Observatory - When a bushfire tore through an Australian astronomical observatory in January 2013, fire-prevention lessons from a decade earlier paid off. An image from the Terra satellite shows the small but crucial patch of forest that survived the blaze.
- Latest demand comes from local and southern state governments, including Louisiana and Mississippi, hit hard by pollution following 2010 blowout.
Originally Published by NASA Earth Observatory - Record-breaking temperatures have fueled fires across Australia. In New South Wales, firefighters fought numerous fires across the densely-populated state on January 9, 2013.
- After more than a month of eruption, lava continues to flow from Tolbachik, one of many active volcanoes on Russia's Kamchatka Peninsula.
- The most effective flood-protection measures have proven to be strict rules on reconstruction and bans on new buildings.
- Company estimates it will pay $7.8bn to 100,000 people and business who lost money because of April 2010 well blowout.
- Northeastern Japan was jolted by a powerful earthquake at 5:18 pm Friday, local time. The quake produced small tsunami waves along the east coast of Honshu island.
December 16th, 2012
- A fast growing, flesh-eating fungus killed five people following a massive tornado that devastated Joplin, Mo., according to two new studies.